Good morning! Hopefully you're recovering from spending four long hours watching the Oscars last night. Gah! Here's your list of feminist news for today.
• The White Male Vote: The NYTimes put together this composite picture of the 117 men who will vote for the next pope. Not surprising! [NYTimes]
• Most mass shootings don't get national headlines—they're domestic violence situations where the victims are women and family members. [AlterNet]
• Women's groups in Britain are petitioning to change sexist coverage in the nation's infamous tabloids. [Change.org]
• The Oscars were pretty "bro-tastic." [Feministing]
• Satricial newspaper The Onion has finally discovered a line not to cross: their tweet joking that beloved actress Quvenzhane Wallis is a "cunt" quickly got deleted. This is the only time I can remember The Onion issuing an apology. [Daily Beast + Slate]
• Actually, it seems like a lot of people have beef with the nine-year-old for some reason. [Racialicious]
• Over on Jezebel, one feminist porn star tells her story about how she got into the business. [Jezebel]
• The show Scandal seems to actually have a good female, African-American lead character. [Bitch Flicks]
• An interesting forum over on Colorlines: Does Beyonce need to talk about her blackness? [Colorlines]
• Facebook exec Sheryl Sandberg wants to be the "pom pom girl for feminism," but columnist Maureen Dowd notes that critics say her vision is a bit elitist. [NYTimes]
Mad about sexism at the Oscars? Sign our letter telling the Academy five things they need to change right now.
Happy Friday! Here's all the feminist news I found interesting this morning. Anything else catch your eye? Add it to the comments!
• Next week, the Supreme Court will hear a challenge to the Voting Right Act. Here's a brief history of the groundbreaking legislation that opened up the ballot box to everyone in the United States. [Colorlines]
• Asking, Telling: A Gallup poll offers data on which states are the gayest. [Buzzfeed]
• Facebook's chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg is working on a book about how women can break the corporate glass ceiling. Like. [NYTimes]
• Pope mystery! Rumors are circulating that the Pope resigned after it became apparent that a gay bishop was being blackmailed. No comment from the Vatican, though. [Guardian]
• A "landmark" cage fight: Ronda Rousey stars in the first female bout in the ultra-violent Ultimate Fighting Championship.
• A 19-year-old transgender person in Detroit was working for the police as an informant—until she was found dead. Did the police not keep her safe enough? [Alternet]
• Accused of killing his girlfriend, South African Olympian Oscar Pistorious is released on bail. [Guardian]
• Gah! CNN is nixing Soledad O'Brien from being a morning news show anchor! [NYTimes]
• Which countries get the most plastic surgery? US is in the top five. [Sociological Images]
• Three words I never thought we'd see remotely near eachother: Livestream. C-Section. Twitter. [Jezebel]
• A comics fan puts together a list of some great LGBT characters in graphic novels. [NPR]
Adult Sex Toys
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!