• Same-sex marriage is now legal in England and Wales! The country's Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat parties all backed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, which was given official "Royal Assent" on Wednesday. [BBC News]
• Chile's absolute ban on abortion is forcing an 11-year-old victim of repeated rape to carry through with a pregnancy that would put her and the potential life in danger. [Bust]
• Independent studio Braveart Films has raised nearly $47,000 towards shooting an adaptation of the young adult novel Carrie Pilby. This all-woman team has only two days left to reach its goal of $51,650, so go check out the Kickstarter! [Kickstarter]
• Speaking of Kickstarters, GoldieBlox was a success. The new engineering toy for girls has a fierce commercial out and is set to hit the shelves of stores like Toys R Us soon. [TOR]
• Are you a trans* writer? Trans* literary journal THEM is currently calling for submissions! Submit your work here. [THEM Lit]
What did we miss? Let us know what you're reading in the comments!
Ding-dong, DOMA is dead! Let there be much rejoicing.
As we break out the champagne and cupcakes, though, it's important to recognize how overturning the federal "one man-one woman" definition of marriage is not the end point for making America a more equal union.
With a pair of U.S. Supreme Court decisions on marriage equality looming, Kimberly Kidwell and Katie Short decided to tie the knot on Saturday, June 22nd, in a very visible way: across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church, on the front lawn of the rainbow-painted Equality House.
• What would the women from fashion sketches look like in real life? A Brazilian modeling agency problematizes the ultra-thin body ideals of the fashion industry by pairing sketches with images of real women. *Trigger Warning* [Sociological Images]