What a freaking week, huh?
• Boston is on lockdown. Stay safe, everyone. [NPR]
• Gabby Giffords served up a big heaping plate of fuck all y'all with this editorial in The New York Times about the failure of the Senate to serve the American people by passing "common-sense legislation" requiring expanded background checks for gun buyers. [New York Times]
• A new Tumblr called Boys Clubs highlights the organizations, panels, boards, presidencies, and other institutions where women don't exist for a bracing visual on what insitututional bias—whether conscious or not—looks like. [Boys Clubs]
• Top WNBA draft pick Brittney Griner has been in the news a ton lately, but not because she's gay. Autostraddle discusses her graceful, casual acknowledgment of her identity, and, well, we love this girl: "Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something." [Autostraddle]
• Vulture investigates a classic Hollywood gender dynamic with a series of snappy charts showing that as film's most bankable male stars age, the female costars with whom they're paired, well, don't. (Or as one famous lothario put it, "I get older—they stay the same age.") [Vulture]
• Speaking of movies, IndieWire's Women and Hollywood blog has a list of all the female-centric movies opening this summer. Get excited! [Women and Hollywood]
• Former Bitch blogger Michelle Dean looks at the long history of pervasive sexism levied at memoirs written by women. [The Cut]
• If you're a fan of Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, you'll want to know about her partnership with the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network. If you donate to RAINN this month (Sexual Assault and Prevention Awareness month), her publisher, MacMillan, will match your contribtution. [RAINN]
• Are we running out of female body parts around which to create consumer anxiety already? The apparent craze in the U.K. for nipple-darkening tattoos, or "tittoos," suggests yes. Greeeaaaat. [The Telegraph]
Have a great weekend, and join us in hoping for a blissfully uneventful coming week. Oh, and if we missed anything, let us know in the comments.
Adult Sex Toys
Be the Change Fair Trade Products
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!