Here's all the news on our radar this Wednesday.
• We wrote a couple weeks ago about how McDonalds gave tasteless advice to its employees, and they've just done it again. While their workers were for striking for a living wage, they posted advice on how much to tip people like pool cleaners, dog walkers, and masseuses. [Salon]
• While the unemployment rate is lower than it has been in 5 years, it's twice as high for black Americans as it is for white Americans. [Colorlines]
• Mother Jones chronicles the long history of college football's sexual assualt problem. [Mother Jones]
• GM hires its first female CEO Mary Barra, she will be the first female leader for any major American auto company. [NPR]
• The LA porn industry shut down for the third time this year because an actor tested positive for HIV. This is resparking the debate over whether porn stars should be required to wear condoms on screen. [Think Progress]
• Meanwhile, the two men thought to be cured of HIV through bone marrow transplants have shown signs of the virus and had to go back on medication. [RH Reality Check]
• A Somali court punished a woman who reported a rape and two journalists who told her story, while neither of the men accused of rape were arrested. [Al Jazeera]
• Nineteen-year-old photographer Kiyun chronicled her friends experiences with racist microaggressions, and the results are powerful. [Jezebel, Nortonism]
Post anything we missed in the comments.
Here's all the feminist news on our radar today.
• It's Columbus Day, yet again. Indian Country Today asks how can we reimagine the day without Columbus. [Indian Country Today]
• A piece at The Atlantic notes that Italian immigrants to America began celebrating Columbus as "as a shield against the ethnic, racial, and religious discrimination." [The Atlantic]
• Indigenous activists in Chile organized a major anti-Columbus protest march that included more than 15,000 people calling for the return of ancestral lands and indigenous peoples' right to self-determination. [Al Jazeera]
• With Halloween around the corner, Adrienne Keene at Native Appropriations writes a new open letter to "Pocahotties." [Native Appropriations]
• October of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which means we're knee-deep in pinkwashing. [Sociological Images]
• Aisha Harris writes about socializing while black and getting a little too much love for a karaoke performance. [Slate]
• Instead of its regular toys, McDonalds will put books in Happy Meals for the first two weeks in November. "It’s tricking kids and parents into thinking that McDonald’s has their best interests in mind," says Corporate Accountability International. [Clutch]
• The hidden war against gay teens: Private Christian schools are expelling kids for not being straight. [Rolling Stone]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comment
Adult Sex Toys
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!