Here's the news on our radar today!
• Mohamed Morsi, the first democratically elected president of Egypt, has been ousted by the military. The military has also suspended the constitution, installed an interim government, and shut down several news stations following several days of nation-wide protests. [New York Times, AlJazeera]
• Last Friday was New York City's 9th annual Trans Day of Action, and GLAAD has some pictures of the event. [GLAAD]
• "Why get married?" A Pew study asked this question and concluded that most people think love is the primary reason to marry someone. [Pew Research]
• Feeling patriotic? On July 12th there will be a nationwide demonstration to lift the ban on gay and bisexual men donating blood. [Gay Blood Drive]
• "We're not fantasies, and we weren't made to save you" -- why the manic pixie dream girl creates dangerous and sexist stereotypes. [New Statesman]
• In more awful anti-abortion news, the North Carolina senate tacked severe abortion restrictions onto an Islamophobic law.
• Student survivors are pressuring the Department of Education to enforce Title IX, which requires schools to accomodate the needs of survivors and to prevent assault. Sign the petition to give students freedom from sexual violence. [Feministing, Change]
Add what you're reading in the comments!
Adult Sex Toys
Be the Change Fair Trade Products
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!