What a weekend. Here's all the feminist news on my radar today.
• Thousands of people across the country rallied in protest of the "not guilty" verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman—even blocking a freeway in LA. Here are six perspectives on the verdict and Racialicious compiled comments on what the verdict means. [LA Times, Bitch, Racialicious]
• Now that George Zimmerman has been acquitted of murder and manslaughter, the NAACP is pushing the Department of Justice to file civil rights charges against the man who shot Trayvon Martin. [Hip Hop Wired]
• In an interview released Monday by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman told authorities that George Zimmerman had molested her for years and often made negative comments about black people. [Huffington Post]
• On Sunday night, CBS's broadcast of Big Brother came with a racism warning. [Salon]
• In other racism-on-TV news, airline company Asiana is suing TV station KTVU for falsely reporting the names of the pilots of its plane that crashed as racist jokes like "Ho Lee Fuk." [Slate]
• Late Friday night, the Texas Senate passed the controversial abortion-rights-restriction bill as thousands of protesters dressed in orange filled the capitol. [RH Reality Check]
• Jacobin magazine published a piece about the anti-trans* rhetoric of "Radfems"—now they're getting sued. [Jacobin]
• And just for fun: A new Tumblr documents women's bathroom graffiti. [Girls' Room Graff]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Adult Sex Toys
Be the Change Fair Trade Products
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!