Good morning! Here's all the feminist news on our radar today.
• Before South African Reeva Steenkamp died—allegedly shot by Olympian Oscar Pistorius—she planned to give a big speech about violence against women. [New York Times]
• Students at Occidental College in California are filing a federal complaint about the way their school deals with sexual assault. [Oxy Sexual Assault Coalition]
• Undocumented immigrant farmworkers can be major targets for sexual abuse and harassment. [RH Reality Check]
• There is a campaign to end rape jokes and general misogyny in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. [UFC Respect Women]
• Determining which countries have the highest instances of rape is next to impossible. [Foreign Policy]
• What's the legacy of Hugo Chavez on the people of Venezuela? [Slate]
• The artist hired to draw DC Comic's new Superman quit after a furor over hiring anti-gay campaigner Orson Scott Card to writer the series. [Guardian]
• How to get elected in America, as someone who's LGB or T. [The Advocate]
• A female meterologist is fired after responding politely on Facebook to racist comments about her looks. [Women's Media Center]
• The model featured on a billboard in the opening credits for Mad Men sues the show for using her image without permission. [Salon]
What did I miss? Add important stories to the comments.
Here's the latest of what we're reading up on.
Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments!
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!