Happy almost-the-weekend, everybody! Here's what's been blowing up the Interwebs.
• At the Guardian's Comment is Free, Jill Filipovic wrote about straight women who change their names upon marriage, asking, modest-proposal–like, that men be expected to do the same. Twitter freaked out. [The Guardian]
• An anonymous mother wrote about outsourcing the diaper-changing of her youngest child to her older children. Mommyish readers freaked out. [Mommyish]
• The first video in Anita Sarkeesian's now-notorious Kickstarter-funded "Tropes Vs. Women: Video Games" series is up at Sarkeesian's site, Feminist Frequency. Zillions of trolls are freaking out right this very minute. [Feminist Frequency]
• Jezebel offered its own special take on the time-honored journalistic tradition known as False Feminist Death Syndrome, asking whether feminism is "nearing her expiration date." Let's not freak out, because seriously? Oldest trick in the book. [Jezebel]
• Forest Whitaker was recently frisked and accused of shoplifting at a New York City delicatessen. Are you surprised by this blatantly racist treatment of an Oscar-winning actor? Perhaps you shouldn't be, says Ta-Nehisi Coates. [New York Times]
• Happy International Women's Day! At PolicyMic, Roxanne Kristalli writes about the crucial need to look deeply at gender—not simply "women" and "men"—in global advocacy work. [PolicyMic]
• At the Root, Nsenga K. Burton writes about the disturbing uptick in public policing of women's clothing, whether on the red carpet or on the streets of their home cities. [The Root]
• And speaking of clothes, fashion legend Vivienne Westwood is not feeling Michelle Obama's fashion choices. Bold talk from a woman who made her name with studded dog collars and unwalk-inable platforms. Your move, FLOTUS. [New York Times]
• Finally, Joss Whedon has adapted Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and everyone seems psyched about it. [AtlanticWire]
Have a great weekend, all! And be sure to note anything we missed in the comments.
Receive a monthly B-Mail in your inbox for special updates, deals, and news from Bitch Media
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!