Tropes vs. Women: #6 The Straw Feminist
Tropes vs. Women is a six-part video series by Feminist Frequency that explores the reoccurring stories, themes and representations of women in Hollywood films and TV shows.
The Straw Feminist trope is a deliberately created, exaggerated caricature of a feminist that is used to undermine and ridicule feminist movements. This was probably one of the most difficult and longest videos I've made so far, partly because the Straw Feminist is a very complex and twisted representation. I actually cut out about five minutes of actual analysis to keep the video at a reasonable viewing time. The Straw Feminist trope has many more facets and many more examples but I hope I was able to provide a general overview.
Related Links and Articles:
- The Straw Feminist at TVtropes.org
- "What is a Straw Feminist?" by s.e. smith at wiseGEEK
- Check out my video "Why We Need You Veronica Mars" with a more in depth analysis of the show.
- TeleVism: The Offensive Olympics: Family Guy here at Bitch Media counts the number of offensive jokes on Family Guy. (While I like the author's analysis of the show, I disagree that Family Guy's humor is any different then South Park's humor.)
- Media Matters is a progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.
- Nellie McKay's "Mother of Pearl" is an entertaining satire about feminism; watch her perform it at a TEDtalk.
**Full video transcript is available at FeministFrequency.com
** This video is available to be translated into other languages by volunteers like you. Please visit the subtitling page on Universal Subtitles and click TRANSLATE to get started.
Comments19 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Loulette (not verified)
Pietro (not verified)
rpontikes (not verified)
Jasminevermilion (not verified)