Tropes vs. Women: #4 The Evil Demon Seductress
Tropes vs. Women is a six-part video series by Feminist Frequency that explores the reoccurring stories, themes and representations of women in Hollywood films and TV shows.
The Evil Demon Seductress is a supernatural creature usually a demon, alien, robot, vampire etc. who is most often disguised as a sexy human female. She uses her sexuality and sexual wiles to manipulate, seduce, kill and often eat poor, hapless men by luring them into her evil web.
Related Links and Articles:
- Related tropes: Horny Devils, Siren, Hot as Hell
- Similar tropes with human female characters: The Black Widow, The Vamp, Femme Fatale
- Shoddy Research & Cultural Tropes: The Praying Mantis at Sociological Images and Mantid of the week at I Blame the Patriarchy
- VIDEO: bell hooks in Cultural Criticism and Transformation talking about the feminist backlash in the media with Leaving Las Vegas as an example
- A real world application of this trope is seen with politicians and celebrities who are accused of sexual assault. The accused (and the media that support them) claim they were being tricked and that it was a "honeytrap." Former IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Wikileaks founder Julian Assange are two recent examples.
- Check out Yes Means Yes! Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape for more on women's sexuality.
**Full video transcript is available at FeministFrequency.com
** This video is available to be translated into other languages by volunteers like you. Please visit the subtitling page on Universal Subtitles and click TRANSLATE to get started.
Comments8 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
eva343535 (not verified)
MMS (not verified)
B (not verified)
SayMyNameYouKnowWhoIAm (not verified)
Lee (not verified)