The 10 Best Books of the Year for Young Feminists
It's hard to find smart books for kids that have solid female characters but aren't heavy on the Disney princesses. A part of the American Library Association called the Amelia Bloomer Project tackled the tough job of sorting through all the young adult books published in 2012 and naming their ten favorite picks.
The books were selected based on their feminist themes, excellence in writing, appealing format, and age appropriateness. The full list is below the cut, but here's a snapshot:
Anyone have any additions or opinions on these? As someone without kids, the only one I've flipped through is the Rookie yearbook, which I found surprisingly great. It's a collection of photo essays, interviews, and diaries that my 12-year-old self would have found engrossing, inspring, and comforting.
Here is the full top ten book list, in order of the author:
• King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village. by Peggielene Bartels and Eleanor Herman (Doubleday)
• Rookie Yearbook One. Edited by Tavi Gevinson (Drawn and Quarterly)
• In the Bag! Margaret Knight Wraps It Up. By Monica Kulling and illustrated by David Parkins (Tundra)
• Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond. by Lilly Ledbetter with Lanier Scott Isom. (Crown Archetype)
• Heart on Fire: Susan B. Anthony Votes for President. by Ann Malaspina, illustrated by Steve James. (Albert Whitman & Co.)
• Summer of the Mariposas. by Guadalupe Garcia McCall (Tu Books)
• Womanthology: Heroic. by various authors (IDW Publishing)
• Dolores Huerta: A Hero to Migrant Workers. by Sarah E. Warren (Marshall Cavendish Children)
• Code Name Verity. by Elizabeth Wein (Hyperion)
• A Little F'd Up: Why Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word. by Julie Zellinger (Seal Press)
Comments8 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Bill (not verified)
Bill (not verified)
odovolenke (not verified)
Anon (not verified)