Psst! Job opening at Bitch Media!
We're seeking a senior editor to join our staff in a part-time, but ongoing, capacity.
For more than 15 years, Bitch Media has published Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, a quarterly magazine devoted to media- and pop-culture critique and analysis. Each issue of Bitch offers commentary on our media-driven world via essays, columns, reviews, and interviews with artists, thinkers, and culture-makers. As a reader-supported magazine, we have a unique publishing model that allows our content to be free of the dictates of advertisers and owners. And as a staff of people who love to read and learn from others, we value smart, engaging, and witty writing and editing.
Our ideal candidate for the Senior Editor position is someone who values those things as well, and who's ready to join an evolving, highly collaborative nonprofit workplace. We're not looking for someone to simply grab a chair and start in on a pile of grunt work (although, truth be told, there will be some grunt work). We want someone whose ideas, vision, and passion will help us continue to make content and programming that people depend on and care about.
So. The details? Below is an outline of the job responsibilities and requirements.
Editing and outreach
• Work with editorial director on shaping the editorial tone and scope of each issue of the magazine.
• In consultation with editor-in-chief, take responsibility for developmental editing of some articles for each issue.
• Work closely with writers to craft and develop articles.
• Identify and reach out to new contributors.
• Participate in biweekly pitch meetings, quarterly cover-design meetings, and annual theme meetings.
• Hire, schedule, and supervise freelance copyeditors, fact checkers, and proofreaders. Send out copy tests and articles to copyeditors and fact checkers. Preparing each issue of magazine for production and printing
• Work with editor-in-chief to generate titles and subtitles for articles; write coverlines.
• Along with editor-in-chief, review proofreader corrections and input changes into InDesign files.
• Do final proofread (with editor-in-chief) of every article before magazine ships.
• Review bluelines/proofs from printer. Development, marketing and PR support
• Work with staff on concepting and writing fundraising and marketing materials
• Edit and proofread newsletters, marketing materials and internal documents
Hours: This is a part-time position, 15–18 hours a week. The schedule has some flexibility, though there are specific days and weeks when workflow will be more intense, as when we are putting an issue of the magazine together.
• At least two years features/developmental editing experience
• At least two years reporting experience, or equivalent
• Strong familiarity with past and present trends in media and popular culture
• Knowledge of and interest in feminist theory, politics, and culture
• Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
• Unimpeachable grasp of grammar and spelling.
• Stellar proofreading and copyediting abilities; familiarity with Chicago style.
• Proficiency with Excel, Word, and InDesign
• A strong capacity to multi-task, prioritize, and delegate
• Experience with blogging and podcasting are a big plus
• A sense of humor and a passion for social justice are crucial
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resumé, and three writing samples to [email protected] by July 1. If you are sending attachments, make sure they are Word documents. No phone calls, please.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse organization and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
chris_8552 (not verified)
chris_8552 (not verified)