On Our Radar: Snow White, Urban Outfitters, and 50 Shades of Grey
Another week, another news cycle devoted to John Edwards' sex life. Here are some non-Edwardian links for your Friday!
- Mari Naomi interviews Alison Bechdel in text and comic form! [The Rumpus]
- Why on EARTH is Urban Outfitters selling these "ironic" Mitt Romney t-shirts? [Brokelyn]
- Hey Portland and PacNWers, the Women of Color Zine Symposium is happening tomorrow at Portland State.
- In other PDX news, the Portland Oregon Women's Film Fest (POWFest) is now accepting submissions for next year! Read about submissions here.
- Tami Winfrey Harris covers the coverage of 50 Shades of Grey [Clutch]
- Fangs for the Fantasy recognizes the progress of the reimagined Snow White movies, but points out it it still has huge shortcomings when it comes sexuality, race, and ability. [Racialicious]
- Emily Manuel's wrenching poem is a must read. [Tiger Beatdown]
- According to this report from the 4th Estate, women are significantly underrepresented in 2012 election coverage in major media outlets, even when it comes to women's issues. Sigh. At least the bad news is presented using good infographics? [4th Estate]
- Five Wives Vodka has been banned in Idaho for its offensive label. What do you think? [Buzzfeed]
- Bitch's own Andi Zeisler was on Culture Club again this week! Check out her thoughts on TV and self-esteem, as well as that marriage proposal everyone's talking about. [OPB]
- Shelby Knox reminds us that, three years after Dr. Tiller's murder, anti-abortion terrorism is still a real threat.
- s.e. smith meditates on the "perfect victim" narrative in the media. [This Ain't Livin']
Share what you've been reading/writing this week in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
lesley (not verified)
Lucia (not verified)
Brooke@Regicide (not verified)
Mark Twang (not verified)