On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup, "You Don't Say!" Edition
Happy Friday! It's time for another special edition of our daily roundup, this time of news that is both unsurprising and deeply, thoroughly depressing. Get ready to be simultaneously weary and outaged!
• In the wake of the stories about the Maryville, Missouri rape of two teen girls, plenty of people are wiling to assume that the girls aren't rape survivors so much as they are drunken, lying sluts. YOU DON'T SAY? [Raw Story]
• Daisy Coleman, the teen at the center of the case, tells the story in her own words. It's much more nuanced than any of the media coverage thus far, and, of course, just as heartbreaking. (Trigger warning? You don't say!) [xoJane]
• Sexual harassment is legion in fields dominated by men? You don't say! This week, Scientific American continues to not be able to catch a break as stories of harassment perpetrated by SciAm blog editor Bora Zivkovic are filling the Internet. [National Geographic, Medium]
• In related news, Slate's Emily Yoffe really thought she was dropping a truth bomb when she penned this article telling college women not to drink. Women are more likely to experience rape when alcohol is involved? Wow, Emily, you don't say. Hey, here's what else is involved when women are raped: rapists. [Slate, Feministing]
• Overt sexism at a comic con? You don't say! (Added reminder: If you're a nerd who's throughly over this bullshit, you probably already know that this weekend is Geek Girl Con, but I'm going to mention it anyway because it's one of the few cons where entitlement to female bodies isn't billed as a selling point.)
• The same charmer who started the "sugar dating" websites Bitch covered in the Gray Issue has a new dating app that just bascially encourages men to bribe their way into dates with women? You don't say! The app is called Carrot (because women are basically horses, if you didn't know), and lets potential daters offer things like jewelry, concert tickets, and plastic surgery. [BetaBeat]
All right then! Enjoy your Friday, and, as ever, let us know what your're reading in the comments!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!