On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Happy Friday! Here's all the feminist news on our radar this morning.
• The three Cleveland women who were raped, abused, and held captive for years recorded a video expressing thanks for the widespread support they received in the aftermath of their discovery and rescue in May. But the unremitting focus on "happy endings" that has accompanied the video pulls focus from the real issue—that such horrors happen way too often. [L.A. Times]
• "If you happen to be seriously wounded, there is a temptation to hope not to survive, because you cannot afford to be wounded." Italian journalist Francesca Borri elucidates the terrifying realities of freelance war journalism. [Columbia Journalism Review]
• With Eliot Spitzer back in the news five years after a sex scandal forced to him to resign as governor of New York, it's worth wondering what it means when we absolve male politicians and lawmakers, and what messages their redemption narratives send about sex, power, and morality. [RH Reality Check]
• What's behind the national protests by food-service workers? In a new strip, comics collective Ladydrawers explore the intersections of food-service work and emotional labor. [TruthOut]
• When efforts at "both sides of the story" seem like obvious disingenousness: Leftist magazine Counterpunch recently gave space to the rampant transphobia of self-described "Radfems," and Slate asked, obnoxiously, "What is a Preferred-Gender Pronoun, and Is It Always Obnoxious? [Jacobin, Slate]
• Jay-Z called Miley Cyrus out on her penchant for cultural appropriation, and it seems like she took it as a compliment. [Gradient Lair]
• This dad totally appreciates that you think he's a "hero" for parenting his two children, but also explains why that is total bullshit. [Slate]
What did I miss? Add your links to the comments.
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Loulette (not verified)
Pietro (not verified)
rpontikes (not verified)
Jasminevermilion (not verified)