On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on our radar today!
• If you didn't notice the Uncle Tom's Cabin references in Miley Cyrus's VMA performance, that's okay—most likely, she didn't either. But this Atlantic article on the novel and play's enduring influence is pretty fascinating. [The Atlantic]
• And Miley-adjacent: Bitch contributor Tamara Winfrey-Harris looks at but a small slice of the cultural appropriations that have been part and parcel of American popular music. [The American Prospect]
• San Antonio, Texas has passed a historic nondsicrimination bill that will ban discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran status. The ordinance, said the city's mayor, is a definitive statement that "there are no second-class citizens in San Antonio." [BuzzFeed]
• One woman in tech has heard all the justifications, redirections, and derailing that occurs when women in tech talk publicly about being women in tech. Here's why she's had enough. [Medium]
• Some enterprising asshole created a site called GhettoTracker, ostensibly so that users can aid travelers by pointing out "which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe." After a well-deserved public shaming, the site has been retitled "Good Part of Town," but no worries—so far it looks to be just as racist and horrible as its first incarnation. [Gawker]
• Are you a filmmaker? Are you a woman? Then you probably already know that the San Francisco Women's Film Festival is now taking submissions—but if you didn't, well, now you do. [Women's Film Institute]
• In better-than-usual toy news, Lego unveiled its newest figurine—or "minifig," if you're hip to the Lego lingo—and she's a female scientist! In what's probably just a coincidence, she also looks exactly like my 8th-grade biology teacher, Ms. Rofman. [Fuck Yeah, Feminism]
Look at the set of flasks on her, huh?
Anything you want to add? Let us know in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Loulette (not verified)
Pietro (not verified)
rpontikes (not verified)
Jasminevermilion (not verified)