On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on my radar today. It's a busy week!
• "Sometimes you have to pay a heavy price to live in a free society." The statement from Wikileaker Chelsea Manning—formerly Bradley Manning—on heading to prison is equal parts profound and heartbreaking. Headlines today are full of news that Manning is "coming out" as transgender, though media has reported on her being transgender since 2011, when New York Magazine wrote a feature on Manning. [Democracy Now, MSNBC, Bitch, New York]
• Meet the woman who stopped what could have been a school shooting this week. [PolicyMic]
• Today in screwed up government policies: A little-known program allows the feds to squash immigration applications from people who are from "suspicious" countries. [Mother Jones]
• The Root takes on how school closings impact entire communities. [The Root]
• Over at Interrupt Mag, Nicole Epps writes about realizing she is black. [Interrupt Mag]
• Shut the whole thing down: A year after Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comment, a new report looks at the legislation that restricts abortion rights even in the case of rape. [RH Reality Check]
• Cheryl Strayed's bestselling book Wild is being adapted to the big screen by Nick Hornby—and now Reese Witherspoon has signed on to play Strayed herself. [Deadline]
• What do you do if you picture is made into a fat-shaming, anti-feminist meme? Kelly Martin Broderick launched your own counter-campaign. [xoJane]
• There has been a lot of activism on college campuses over the past year around getting school administrators to take sexual assault seriously. A new website called Know Your IX aims to be a resource to help students end sexual violence on their campuses. [Know Your IX]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Anonymous1 (not verified)
Some2 (not verified)
wallens (not verified)
Socchan (not verified)
Phanie (not verified)