On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
It's Monday! I'm kicking off the week with this round-up of feminist news from around the internets.
• Reflections on Father's Day: Remembering a distant father who left his daughter's life and creating a new definition of what it means to be an "engaged father." [Crunk Feminist Collective and Colorlines]
• Where is homosexuality most accepted? A new map of global attitudes toward LGBT folks reveals that Spain, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Canada are most supportive of homosexuality. [Sociological Images]
• Here's another map for Monday: There are more waiting periods for abortions than waiting periods for guns in the US. [Feministing]
• What would a feminist labor movement look like? Writer Sarah Jaffe hosts a discussion for Dissent magazine. [Dissent]
• Today in rape culture: A suburban Chicago fireman is accused of trying to rape an incapacitated woman at a party, his defense is she was "making eyes" at him. Plus, college serial rapists are evading prosecution. [Shakesville and Bloomberg]
• Suspicious confirmed: Auto shops do tend to overcharge women. [Atlantic]
• The immigrant you won't see in The Bling Ring: In real life, one of the members of the "bling ring" of teens that stole from Hollywood celebrities' homes was undocumented immigrant Diana Tamayo, but in the new Sophia Coppola movie, she's cast as a white citizen. [Colorlines]
• There's a new live-action Little Mermaid movie in the works, but the same director as the recent Anna Karenina. [The Mary Sue]
• Paralympian Ryan Chalmers starts every day at 5:30am—he's becoming the first person to cross the US by wheelchair. [Guardian]
• Since her insurance doesn't cover gender confirmation surgery, one transgender New Yorker—24-year-old Diana Tourjee—is running an Indiegogo fundraiser for the costs. [Indiegogo]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Abby Lorenzo (not verified)
miffty (not verified)
joana (not verified)
AON (not verified)
Bannef (not verified)