On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Oh hello. Here's all the feminist news I'm reading today.
• A video of Charles Ramsey, the black neighbor of three kidnapping victims in Cleveland, went viral yesterday—it's remarkable not just because the neighbor helped rescue three imprisoned women, but because he points out issues of rampant racism. [Salon]
* Delaware legalized same-sex marriage! [Autostraddle]
• A judge blasts the Obama Administration's decision to keep fighting against Plan B access for young girls. [RH Reality Check]
• Lauryn Hill was sentenced to three months in prison for tax evasion, even though she paid off the back taxes. She compared the tax system to slavery, saying: "I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of.... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me. I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."
• In much better news, the guy in charge of Girls Gone Wild is also going to jail—he was convicted of false imprisonment and assault. [Salon]
• Sexual assault in the military is not going away. In fact, it seems like 90 percent of military assaults are never reported. [Mother Jones]
• Do hospital bills make any sense? Survey says: No. A recent study found wildly differing charges for the same procedures, leaving the cost of healthcare dependent on the whims of each hospital. [New York Times]
• 21 things making you fat right now: A list of the ridiculous things junk science has reported make you fat. [xoJane]
• What do you desire? The new issue of n+1 has an interesting personal essay about one woman trying to figure out what she wants from sex and relationships. [n+1]
What are you reading? Add your links to the comments.
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Arson Whales (not verified)
tj (not verified)
LizaK (not verified)
Godsey (not verified)
Taye (not verified)