On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Good morning Bitch readers! Here's what we've been reading today.
- In light of the recent Boston Marathon Bombing, there have been countless racist responses and unfounded finger-pointing. Here's why David Sirota hopes the bomber is a white American, and how white male privilege could dramatically shape the course the U.S. will take. [Salon]
- There's lots of coverage about the sadistic and sloppy abortion-performing doctor Kermit Gosnell. Here's a rundown seperating the truth from the false info in the gruesome case and a commentary on how the situation shows the lack of access to healthcare among poor people of color [RH Reality Check].
- One year since three Black trans-women were murdered, we remember them. [TransGriot]
- Folks are celebrating the release of "Trans 100," a list of 100 great trans* activists. [Autostraddle]
- Breaking the cycle: In Afghanistan, it's taboo for women to ride bikes. But a group of women have semi-secretly formed a national biking team and are getting new gear from American cyclists. [New York Times]
- Maintaining a heritage language can be difficult enough when you live in an English-speaking country, but coupled with the huge stigma against foreign languages results in the overwhelming loss of an ability to speak them by the second-generations of immigrants. [Racialicious]
- While there are plenty of YA novels that are a source of empowerment for girls, the focus on "beauty" is still very prevalent. [This Ain't Livin']
- Although we've seen this done before, here's a new take on recreating the all-too-common sexist advertisements using role-reversal to replace the female models with males. [The F Bomb]
- Yay for progress! New Zealand has officially approved its bill for marriage equality. [Huffington Post]
- North Dakota lawmakers are confident that the newest in a slew of anti-abortion bills will deter women from getting abortions, when in reality, they will only be making it more difficult and, therefore, unsafe. [NY Mag]
Did we forget a good link? Let us know in the comments.
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Josie H (not verified)
العاب طبخ (not verified)