On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Rise and shine! It's time to check out some of our favorite recent reads and wish a happy birthday to Dolores Huerta!
- Did you see that Miley Cyrus video and her quest to trend #MCTwerkTeam? Here's a look into how privilege plays into the appropriation of twerking and ratchet. [YouTube, Racialicious]
- After another trans* woman applies to Smith College, she is denied admission as those before her. [Autostraddle]
- When Rosa Clemente and Talib Kweli debated about Rick Ross' rape lyrics, Kweli fell into the age-old habit of some serious mansplaining and masculine aggression to assert his own ideas. He claimed to be an "ally" of women in hip hop, but missed the mark. Dr. Brittney Cooper lays out how five ways Kweli can become a better ally. [Huffington Post, Crunk Feminist Collective]
- Yesterday was Equal Pay Day. Now, what's the exact cost that comes with being born female? A new study (and this infographic) says it's approximately $849,000. [Nerdy Feminist]
- Jamia Wilson talks about the "inevitable rite of passage" that is experiencing racism as a Black girl in the U.S. [Rookie]
- After being raped and relentlessly cyberbullied, a teenage girl is dead after tragically committing suicide at the age of 17. [Gender Focus]
- In light of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that occurred this past December, there's been a lot of talk about arming school officials with weapons. Here's why having guns in school in a bad idea for children. [Slate]
- When President Obama called California Attorney General Kamala Harris the "best looking attorney general by far," many were upset over the comment and its reduction of Harris to her physical appearance. These are just three reasons to pay attention to Harris for her politics and not her looks. [Colorlines]
Have something else we should read? Let us know in the comments.
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Thelma (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)
Sarah Parker (not verified)
Annaswa (not verified)
bille (not verified)