On Our Radar: Today's Feminist News Roundup
Good morning! Happy Monday! Here's our list of feminist news links to kick off your week.
• Grammy Time: Was Frank Ocean stiffed awards because he's unconventional? [Guardian] Will we all let out a collective sign of relief at some future date when Rihanna dumps that jerk Chris Brown? [Jezebel]
• Millions of immigrants could be cut out of immgration reform. Here's the infograph to prove it. [Colorlines]
• FOX News accidentally endorses same-sex marriage: The news agency mistakenly runs a photo of a lesbian couple to illustrate a story about the need for traditional gender roles in marriage. [Feministing]
• Standing up to domestic violence... on Social Media: An American woman living in China posted photos online of the bruises she received from her husband, building support as she fought for justice through an apathetic and discouraging court system. [NYTimes]
• Hooray for contraception! The US teen pregnancy rate is at an all-time low. [Jezebel]
• Science says: Gender doesn't determine whether you're "assertive" or other traits traditionally thought of as male. [Buzzfeed]
• Who are these "female readers"? A great little historical retrospective on peoples' conceptions of what women want to read. [LA Review of Books]
• Sylvia! Today is the 50th anniversary of great writer Sylvia Plath's death. [Guardian]
• One more reason to never listen to Rush: On gun control, he disrespects and distorts the histories of African-Americans. [Miami Herland]
• Who made Mardi Gras for tourists? A history of the race and class behind Mardi Gras Krewes. [Sociological Images]
• Finally! A statistical analysis of what rappers actually say about the police [Sociological Images]
Did I miss anything? Post it in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Didgebaba (not verified)
Ms Kitty (not verified)
Mello (not verified)
Edward Nelson (not verified)
Anonymous823 (not verified)