On Our Radar: Tearing Down the "Typical" Trans Narrative, Casual Racism, and the 12th Annual Portland Zine Symposium!
After a hot few days, it's finally cooling down in Portland. Here's what we've ben reading.
- I believe I was born in the right body; transgender, yes, but there's nothing "wrong" with me. Thomas Page McBee thoughtfully tears down notions and media deptions of the "typical" trans narrative. [Salon]
- Odd Future's Syd The Kyd doesn't identify as a feminist, in fact, she even said that "extreme feminists" are annoying, but she believes in equal rights for all people. Sound familiar? Right, okay. We'll ask you again in five years, kiddo. [Mass Appeal]
- Racism is racism is racism. Off-hand racist comments and actions are a problem. Not calling them out is a bigger problem. Check yourself! [xoJane]
- This week in oppression and the Olympics: Are you kidding me? I just made history. And you're focusing on my hair? This is the Olympics, not America's Next Top Model! The media's got an appetite for negative portrayal of black femininity, and a wholly unjustified bone to pick with Gabby Douglas. Ew. Stop. [Ms. Blog/Ebony]
- "Free birth control" isn't so "free," so stop calling it that. [Tiger Beardown]
- Want to be a good or better ally to people of color? Having some trouble? This is important, read it. [The Crunk Feminist Collective]
- Some rad folks from Autostraddle will be hosting a queer ladies speed dating at Strand in New York City on August 15th. And there's free wine. Wait, what? Yeah, free wine, cuties, and eighteen miles of books. Sounds like a dream. [Autostraddle]
- Queer and trans activist, author, and all around badass, Kate Bornstein is going to be at Powell's on Monday, August 13th supporting her latest book, A Queer and Pleasant Danger. You should go!
- Portland update: The 12th annual Portland Zine Symposium is happening on Saturday, August 11th and Sunday, August 12th at Refuge in SE Portland! We'll be there, so stop by our table!
What have you been reading, musing, raging, or raving about this week? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Micromegas (not verified)
anamul khan (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)