On Our Radar: Mindy Kaling Backlash, Fifty Shades of Chopin, and Why Amanda Palmer Still Doesn't Get It.
T.G.I.O.O.R.! Let's hit the links!
- Have you seen The Mindy Project yet? Nisha Chittal breaks down the backlash against Kaling for being "smug" (read: successful, not white, and not a dude). No one puts Mindy in a corner! [Racialicious]
- Kickstarter millionaire Amanda Palmer has agreed to pay her musicians, but Mary Elizabeth Williams argues that she still doesn't get it. [Salon]
- If you've already had lunch, you might want to avoid this slideshow of parents sexualizing their kids on social media. It's a hurl-inducer. [Mommyish]
- It's safe (and fun!) to check out riese's 150 years of lesbians slideshow whether you've eaten recently or not. [Autostraddle]
- Chris Brown may be a certified douche, but he's not the only celebrity with a history of abusing women. Sian underscores how important it is to acknowledge this, because "it's never okay for men to beat women, no matter how famous or talented they are." [sian and crooked rib]
- Why is "Gangnam Style" so popular? Max Fisher argued that it was the song's subversive message, but refresh_daemon says it's also because Psy is "one of the things the Western mainstream wants to see from its Asian people: a funny guy who doesn't pose any threat of making Asian men seem sexually desirable." [The Atlantic, Init_Music]
- If you were wondering whether Romney's remarks about "the 47%" had anything to do with race, here's a hint: they did. In fact, Imara Jones thinks they had "everything to do with race." [Colorlines]
- Excited about Schmidt from New Girl's new book? Read an interview with the Man Behind the Douche, Max Greenfield. [Hollywood Reporter, Vanity Fair]
- Bitch contributor Spectra Speaks has some more thoughts on that Nina Simone biopic, on the media coverage it's getting, and on race and Hollywood in general. [Spectra Speaks]
- Carolyn suggests you put down that copy of Fifty Shades and pick up The Awakening instead. [Shameless]
What have you been reading this week? Let us know in the comments!
Comments8 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Loulette (not verified)
Pietro (not verified)
rpontikes (not verified)
Jasminevermilion (not verified)