On Our Radar: Jenni Rivera, Trolls, and Mental Illness
This week has unfortunately been filled with tragedy. When we weren't reading the news, we were reading up on some of this week's other big issues. Here's what we found:
- Jenni Rivera died in a plane crash in Mexico this past weekend. Here's an excellent article on Rivera's legacy and the work she did for women, immigrants, and LGBT youth. [Colorlines]
- Although the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence finished up a few days ago, it's never too late to learn about the cause and create awareness. [US Aid]
- Sarah Jaffe gets shouted at and berated far too often -- here's a piece she's written about the many trolls she's encountered. [Jezebel]
- And here's some more misogyny to chew on. If someone writes racist shit, the sensible thing to do is respond intelligently, right? Apparently wrong. Rhonda A. Lee, meteorologist at KTBS-TV, was fired after she gave a harassing commenter a piece of her mind. [Clutch]
- Speaking of racism (and sexism,) have you seen the latest tennis star to "mimic" Serena Williams and her body? It's Caroline Wozniacki , using towels to plump up her boobs and behind. [scATX]
- Though mental illness is no laughing matter, it's something that certain comedians must deal with. This write-up is about the relationship between the two. [Splitsider]
- Sex and disability are often unexplored in films. Stephanie Rogers examines how The Sessions addresses both. [Bitch Flicks]
Is there something we missed? Let us know in the comments. Our thoughts go out to all those affected by the shootings.
Comments6 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Didgebaba (not verified)
Ms Kitty (not verified)
Mello (not verified)
Edward Nelson (not verified)
Anonymous823 (not verified)