On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here’s what’s on our radar today!
• Sen. Elizabeth Warren introduced a common sense but incredibly vital bill that would prevent employers from using credit checks in the hiring process, a practice that disproportionately disqualifies people of color, women, and low-wage workers. [Mother Jones]
• Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alekhina are likely to be set free after the passage of a Russian amnesty bill. [Jezebel]
• On the addition of Tauriel to The Hobbit franchise and its sexist blowback. [The Mary Sue]
• Mia McKenzie talks about race, feminism, and Beyonce’s new album. [Black Girl Dangerous]
• In a step forward, the Netherlands just passed a law that will allow transgender people to affirm their identity on legal documents with a statement from “an expert” testifying to their desire to change their gender identification. The current law, which this law will supersede, requires a court order and sterilization or gender modification surgery. [Buzzfeed]
• In the real war on Christmas, a white teacher shamed his black student for dressing up as Santa, because according to him and Fox News host Megyn Kelly, Santa can only be white. [Feministing]
• Check out this article and video about Rozo Regal, a queer rapper in Watts, Los Angeles, and her producer Galli. [Audio Vision]
• The Sochi Winter Olympics Presidential Delegation includes two lesbians, Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow. [Autostraddle]
• And, if you live in the US, today's the last day to order presents from BitchMart with guaranteed delivery by December 25th!
Share what you're reading in the comments!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Diana (not verified)
NOTLIKELY (not verified)
Julie Hennrikus (not verified)
Elenute (not verified)