On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar this Wednesday.
• We wrote a couple weeks ago about how McDonalds gave tasteless advice to its employees, and they've just done it again. While their workers were for striking for a living wage, they posted advice on how much to tip people like pool cleaners, dog walkers, and masseuses. [Salon]
• While the unemployment rate is lower than it has been in 5 years, it's twice as high for black Americans as it is for white Americans. [Colorlines]
• Mother Jones chronicles the long history of college football's sexual assualt problem. [Mother Jones]
• GM hires its first female CEO Mary Barra, she will be the first female leader for any major American auto company. [NPR]
• The LA porn industry shut down for the third time this year because an actor tested positive for HIV. This is resparking the debate over whether porn stars should be required to wear condoms on screen. [Think Progress]
• Meanwhile, the two men thought to be cured of HIV through bone marrow transplants have shown signs of the virus and had to go back on medication. [RH Reality Check]
• A Somali court punished a woman who reported a rape and two journalists who told her story, while neither of the men accused of rape were arrested. [Al Jazeera]
Post anything we missed in the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
eva343535 (not verified)
MMS (not verified)
B (not verified)
SayMyNameYouKnowWhoIAm (not verified)
Lee (not verified)