On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's what's on our day-after-Thanksgiving radar:
• One cool thing we can do surrounding Thanksgiving is remember and honor Native American struggles for self-determination and liberation. Red Power activists issued a proclamation to the US government when they occupied Alcatraz Island from 1969 to 1971, and it was pretty rad. [The New Inquiry]
• Did you have any arguments about politics with your family at dinner yesterday? If so, good job; it's better for everyone in the long run. If not, there's always the next holiday, and the DNC has provided a handy little tool to help you win. [PolicyMic, Your Republican Uncle]
• The hashtag #feministselfie took over Twitter recently as a way of demonstrating the selfie's potential to increase visibility for bodies that are usually devalued or ignored. [Colorlines]
• After a disagreement regarding copyright and definitions of "parody", GoldieBlox has decided to remove their version of the Beastie Boys' song "Girls" from their recent viral video. The Beasties had pointed out in an open letter to the toy company that they are specifically opposed to the use of their music to sell products. [New York Times]
• Many female saints were women who were radically opposed to traditional gender norms and fought against following the path they were expected to take. Here's a list of ten feminists who were canonized. [Autostraddle]
• Clyde Peterson is working on a new stop-motion film about LGBTQ youth and schizophrenia called Torrey Pines. If you're interested in any of these things, help Kickstart the project. [Torrey Pines, Kickstarter]
Let us know what we missed!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
May the Box Office Be Ever in Your Favor: How Divergent and The Hunger Games Avoid Race and Gender ViolenceAqiyl Aniys (not verified)
Aqiyl Aniys (not verified)
Destiny (not verified)
Jessica Rabbit (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)