On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's the news on our radar today.
• Many people are noting that Lily Allen's new parody music video for "Hard Out Here" misses the mark when it comes to satire, writing that the video denigrates its back-up dancers and includes inherently racist connotations. [Black Feminists, Black in Asia, Ani Bundel]
• Great young adult author Malinda Lo talks about sexism and the difficulty of self-promotion. [The Toast]
• Salon argues that Sons of Anarchy is the most sexist show on television. [Salon]
• Texas Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and West Virginia are refusing to process benefits for gay couples even after Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's order that gay spouses of National Guard members be given marriage benefits. [The New York Times]
• PG-13 movies are now more violent than R-rated movies were in the 80s. [NBC]
• Why the abortion pill didn't change everything. [New York Mag]
• One California High School's mascot is the Arabs. Seriously? [Colorlines]
• What would happen if the Supreme Court didn't defend abortion? It would become a health service only the privileged could afford. [RH Reality Check]
Post anything we missed in the comments.
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Evie (not verified)
enlightend0000 (not verified)
Ella (not verified)