On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's what's on our radar today!
• Mark Zuckerberg is hosting a hackathon with young DREAMers to develop coding solutions to US immigration problems. [HuffPost]
• The Texas voter ID law that just went into effect requires voters to provide an official ID that matches their most up-to-date name in order to cast a ballot. Many news outlets have been focusing on the effect it will have on married women who haven’t changed the last name on their ID. Feministing points out what’s missing from that analysis: this name-specific targeting also disenfranchises trans voters. [Feministing]
• Openly queer rapper Angel Haze put out a moving remix of Macklemore’s hit “Same Love.” [ColorLines]
• Why one woman won’t be reclaiming the word “slut.” [Salon]
• The documentary A Beautiful Game is raising funds to tell the story of female soccer players in South Africa, and the power that the game can have to create social change. [Kickstarter]
• Today in “no, really?” news: Better, more accessible birth control could save taxpayers a whole truckload of money. [Jezebel]
Share what you've been reading in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Anonymous. (not verified)
3 (not verified)
Baraz (not verified)
Brittnie0710 (not verified)
Anonymous9 (not verified)