On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's the feminist news on our radar this morning.
• California Governor Jerry Brown vetoed a bill that would mandate condoms be available in prison and would be funded by donations, not taxpayers. This is crucial as rates of HIV have escalated in prison in recent years. [HIV Plus Mag]
• The Obamacare website is still experiencing serious problems, making it hard to sign up for the new healthcare plans. [The Washington Post]
• Amy Poehler and Tina Fey will host the next two Golden Globes. Yay!! [The Mary Sue]
• We’re all probably sick about hearing about Miley Cyrus, but this article from Professor Lisa Wade is an interesting take on "Wrecking Ball" and "the patriarchal bargain." [Sociological Images]
• Sandra Bullock’s character in Gravity is an introverted scientist, making her a unique female hero that is refreshing to see on screen. [Bitch Flicks]
• In not so shocking news: new research from Minnesota shows that colleges with more health services have students with lower rates of pregnancy and higher rates of birth control and condom use. [Bedsider]
It’s October, so it’s time for Halloween costume disasters. This time: Marvel's Spider-Girl costume is pink and has a frilly skirt (and looks absolutely nothing like the character of Spider-Girl). [Ami Angelwings]
Post anything we missed in the comments!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
EmHarsch (not verified)
Arson Whales (not verified)
tj (not verified)
LizaK (not verified)