On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on my radar today:
• President Obama has nominated Janet Yellen to chair the Fed—a move that's certain to lead to a showdown. Some folks are bracing for the irritating reports that Obama has appointed her just for the sake of diversity? [The Atlantic, Shakesville]
• Kuwait says it plans to detect LGBT people at the border with a medical test and keep them from entering the country. Uh... what? [Advocate]
• A new book argues that America's paranoia about terrorism is a parallel of the War on Drugs. [AlterNet]
• Autostraddle talks with peformer Khaela Maricich of beloved band The Blow. [Autostraddle]
* The New York chapter of the National Organization of Women is holding a discussion October 22 about what "solidarity" within the feminist movement means for women of color. [NOW via Maureen Jahmed]
• Dissent has a hilarious/awful article dissecting the work of a Pick Up Artist who utterly failed to pick up any women in Denmark. [Dissent]
• A new satirical poster from the National Congress of American Indians makes a clear point about how "Redskin" mascots have got to go. [Political Blind Spot]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Horst (not verified)
Herbert (not verified)
Alex R (not verified)
ma (not verified)
Jackie M. (not verified)