On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• The US patent office refused to issue a new trademark to the Washington Redskins because “a substantial composite of Native Americans found the term Redskins to be disparaging.” [Change the Mascot]
• Congress is poised to approve $41 million to help police departments nationwide to finally process tens of thousands of rape kits. [Guardian]
• Thirty states don't prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but Obama plans to sign an executive order banning discrimination against LGBT people working on federal contracts. [RH Reality Check]
• Alabama has entered the 21st century! The state struck down its ban on "oral and anal sexual contact" between unmarried adults. [Autostraddle]
• The great Melissa Harris Perry wrote a great article about motherhood and body image. [Essence]
• Media Matters dissects a recent Wall Street Journal editorial that said contraceptives are "abortifacients." Yuck. [Media Matters]
• Hari Kondabolu—the "best anti-colonialist comedian working today"—had an awesome set on Conan this week. [Angry Asian Man]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Didgebaba (not verified)
Ms Kitty (not verified)
Mello (not verified)
Edward Nelson (not verified)
Anonymous823 (not verified)