On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• Today is the 25th anniversary of the Chinese government's bloody crackdown in Tiananmen Square—the government's goal now is to erase the historic event from the nation's memory. [NPR]
• Sesali Bowen has a great piece on Feministing called "Let them Live: Josephine Baker, Maya Angelou, and Rihanna as erotic and holistic." [Feministing]
• Pharrell wore a headdress on the cover of Elle magazine—after fans called him out for cultural appropriation, the pop star issued an apology. [Colorlines]
• The island nation of Cyprus hosted its first LGBT Pride on Saturday. In spite of protesters, thousands came out to celebrate. [The Advocate]
• “Azalea’s repeated assertion that she’s a 'bad bitch' serves as a solid reminder that not only is she a 'bad bitch,' but that so is McEntire who, let’s face it, could probably easily take any one of us in a fight.” Check out a rad mash-up of “Fancy” by Iggy Azalea and “Fancy” by Reba McEntire, here. [AV Club]
• Yesterday marked forty-six years since Valerie Solanas's attempted assassination of Andy Warhol. Haley Mlotek writes searchingly about seeking personal solace in SCUM. [The Awl]
• John Oliver breaks down net neutrality with characteristic panache: “Cable companies have figured out the great truth of America: if you want to do something evil, put it in something boring.” [TechCrunch]
• On Monday, Seattle became the U.S. city with the highest minimum wage: $15 an hour. Big cities of America, take note! [New York Times]
• An open letter to Jane Doe, the 16-year-old trans girl who is being held in adult prison: “We’re gonna show them what truly free queens look like.” [Colorlines, Janet Mock]
What did I miss? Add what you’re reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Olga123 (not verified)
Doug (not verified)
nomail (not verified)
Hubert J Simpson (not verified)