On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Glaciers melt, cheerleaders fight back, and a word from the woman who popularized the term “white privilege.” Here's what's on our radar today:
• The New York Jets have become the fourth NFL team this year to be sued by cheerleaders for allegedly violating state labor laws. The chief litigant’s attorney says her client earned a measly $3.77 an hour when she worked for the Jets Flight Crew during the 2012-13 season. [Los Angeles Times]
• In a recently published poll of 53,000 people across the globe, the Anti-Defamation League found that only 54 percent of those surveyed have ever heard of the Holocaust. What. The. What. [The Wire]
• "While the NYPD has ended its practice of mapping and spying on Muslims using plain clothes police officers, it's producing the same results with a different tactic.” Mychal Denzel Smith argues that change cannot come until we begin to question the fundamental goals of policing. [The Nation]
• In this frank and fascinating interview with the New Yorker, Wellesley women’sstudies scholar Peggy McIntosh discusses privilege, oppression, and the importance of testifying to one’s own experience. [New Yorker]
• A 17-year-old girl says she was kicked out of prom because some of the adult chaperones feared she was inspiring “impure thoughts” among male classmates. “I'm not responsible for some perverted 45-year-old dad lusting after me because I have a sparkly dress on and a big ass for a teenager,” she wrote in response. [Wine & Marble]
• This Thursday, the FCC will vote on a proposal that would give corporations like Verizon and Comcast the power to pay for special treatment, in effect creating a fast lane and a slow lane on the Internet. Although the proposal was revised in response to public pressure, “the new language… doesn’t fundamentally alter the rule’s intent.” [Colorlines]
• Arctic ice melt? That’s not all, folks. As if the environmental catastrophe-in-progress that Mother Jones dubbed a “holy shit moment for global warming” wasn’t enough, Greenland’s glaciers are melting, too. [Mother Jones, The New Republic]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Special heads up from Bitch HQ: Right now, you can get a year subscription to Bitch for just $19.96. That's 320 pages of feminist analysis & reviews!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!