On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Happy Monday! Here's all the news on our radar:
• With the recently botched executions in Ohio and Oklahoma, it looks like the death penalty is coming under serious scrutiny. Here are two interesting perspectives: Ta-Nehisi Coates explains how the death penalty is inextricably linked with white supremacy and Lisa Wade notes how photos of executions helped bring attention to the horror of capital punishment. [The Atlantic, Sociological Images]
• Freedom of the press in the United States and UK is slipping, according to a nonprofit that monitors journalistic freedom and points out that the governments' responses to Edward Snowden's leaks infringe on the right to a free press. [Guardian]
• Could the GOP's voter ID laws finally be losing steam? A federal court's recent decision to overturn Wisconsin's voter ID could help unravel the right-wing tactic. [Salon]
• The Boko Haram released video of what they say are 130 of the kidnapped Nigerian school girls—they want to swap the girls for allies who are in prison. [Al Jazeera]
• As Stephen Colbert steps into the late night TV spot, Larry Wilmore will fill the Colbert Report's old Comedy Central slot with a new show called The Minority Report. [New York Times]
• Colorlines is doing a major look at inequality for black men in the United States with a new series, "Life Cycles of Inequity." [Colorlines]
• As we're keeping an eye on laws that specifically criminalize pregnant women, Tennessee passed a law that could wind up putting pregnant women who use illegal drugs in prison. [Girl With Pen]
• Over the weekend, football player Michael Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted by the NFL. Sam and his boyfriend hear the news and are overcome with emotion! Love this. [via Feministing]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Abby Lorenzo (not verified)
miffty (not verified)
joana (not verified)
AON (not verified)
Bannef (not verified)