On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• Orange Is the New Black actress Lea DeLaria, will not be performing at the upcoming Michigan Womyn's Music Festival. In a statement, DeLaria said, "We queers need to find a way to stop this fighting and work together towards our common goal.” Preach. [Advocate]
• I can’t even believe this is happening. Supposedly, a 28-year-old woman is auctioning off her virginity, offering a “12 hour date with the highest bidder ending in her deflowering” and for some reason all Jezebel cares about is why she isn’t being arrested for prostitution. [Jezebel]
• While the “bring back our girls” movement gained even more traction this week with First Lady Michelle Obama’s #bringbackourgirls tweet, the writers at Compare Afrique caution against becoming a “complicit participant in a military expansionist agenda on the continent of Africa.” [Compare Afrique]
• For decades, Cuba was notorious for its crackdown on LGBT people. Mariette Pathy Allen's recently published photobook,TransCuba, portrays a country slowly outgrowing its history of persecution. [Daylight Books]
• In case you haven’t heard, the American health care system is subpar and is negatively affecting most people, including pregnant women. [Salon]
• Why is it always women whose careers are ruined in a sex scandal? Monica Lewinsky is re-entering the public with a book about her experience, saying that she became "a social canvas on which anybody could project their confusion about women, sex, infidelity, politics, and body issues." [The Guardian]
• Artist Kara Walker unveiled her first large-scale public project in partnership with Creative Time, at Brooklyn’s legendary Domino Sugar Factory this week. The installation, titled “Subtlety,” features a gigantic figure with African features, posed to resemble a sphinx encrusted with sugar. The exhibition urges viewers to consider the human cost of troubling sugar industry labor practices. [Colorlines]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Horst (not verified)
Herbert (not verified)
Alex R (not verified)
ma (not verified)
Jackie M. (not verified)