On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
A police chief, a Supreme Court Justice, and a legendary wrestler walk into a bar... here's all the news on our radar today:
• If you haven't already read Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor's 58-page dissent to the court's affirmative action decision this week, well LA Times reporter Robin Abcarian notes that it is “well worth curling up with.” [LA Times]
• Wrestling legend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin has been getting some majorly belated props this week for an expletive-rich rant he delivered in support of marriage equality on his podcast several months ago. [Queerty]
• In her rad reconsideration of those lately ubiquitous "Women You Should Be Reading" lists, Roxane Gay writes, “I cannot believe we need to count and point out worthy women writers like we’re begging for scraps at the table of due respect.” Hear, hear. [Slate]
• Looking for a surefire way to combat feminist fatigue? I wish you all the luck in the world with Pantene or Dove, but I’m sold on this article by Arwa Mahdawi exploring the use of feminism as a sales tactic. [The Guardian]
• A doctor in Egypt will stand trial today over the genital cutting of a 13-year-old girl who later died from complications. The procedure has been outlawed in Egypt since 2008, and many hope the international eyes on this case will lead to stricter enforcement of the ban. But can change come from the outside? And should it? [Al Jazeera]
• Today is the one-year anniversary of the Rana Plaza factory collapse in Bangaldesh which killed 1,127 people. To commemorate the loss, one artist stitched a body bag entirely out of Joe Fresh clothing. [Gender Focus]
• After a homophobic mayor fired his town’s openly lesbian police chief last week, the town council turned against him – on Tuesday filing an emergency ordinance to prevent him from hiring her replacement. [Buzzfeed]
• Director and screenwriter Mary Harron sits down with Anisse Gross to discuss the brilliance of SCUM Manifesto, consciously subverting the male gaze in American Psycho, and how “it’s bullshit that women can’t have it all.” Believe it. [The Believer]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Didgebaba (not verified)
Ms Kitty (not verified)
Mello (not verified)
Edward Nelson (not verified)
Anonymous823 (not verified)