On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's the news on my radar today...
• A North Carolina transgender student was confronted by campus security after using the women's restroom. She says a school official told her that she has “no rights legally," and that if she files a complaint, it could "cost someone a job.'" [The Advocate]
• Mississippi Circuit Court Judge Jim Kitchens dismissed the murder charge against a teenager who had given birth to a stillborn baby, due to the law being “unclear on the ‘appropriate’ charge.” [Salon]
• Maria Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova of Pussy Riot were interviewed on the Today show Thursday morning and discussed their time in prison and how the repressive government they live under emboldens their activism. [Salon]
• The Women’s Media Center released an update to its annual State of the Media report featuring new research about the gender gap across media. No news outlet comes out of this report looking good. [Salon]
• After considerable backlash resulting from his donation to California's anti-gay Prop 8 campaign, the CEO of Mozilla finally stepped down this week. [NY Times]
• Brad Pitt’s production company has purchased the film rights to the Steubenville rape case story. The film will reportedly focus on Anonymous, the man facing more jail time than the rapists for hacking police files and breaking the story. No word yet on what role the rape survivor will have in the film. [Think Progress]
• Mississippi's school-sanctioned sex “education” program tells girls that they are “unclean” if they have sex and that once they are virgins nobody would want to marry them. Meanwhile, the state has the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. [LA Times]
Want to support better sex education? Join Bitch on Monday, April 21st at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland for Babies and Bananas, a fun night of vintage sex ed clips, personal tales from Portlanders about their sex education experiences and a discussion on the state of sex ed today. The event is hosted by She Bop educator Amory Jane and proceeds benefit both Bitch and Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette.
Did we miss something? Tell us about it in the comments!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Anon (not verified)
Anon (not verified)