On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• Massachusetts became the eighth state to protect families against proposed SNAP cuts. Food stamp cuts go beyond just food—they're part of assistance package referred to as the "heat-and-eat" scheme, which means that those who qualify for low-income heating assistance also qualify for an increase in SNAP benefits. [Huffington Post]
• Folks, I have a confession: I have yet to use a hashtag. But this interesting piece “Hashtags as Decolonial Projects with Radical Origins” discusses how women of color are using hashtags as a tool of decolonization and a means to forge alliances with other activists. [Model View Culture]
• Oh, how awesome—another stellar article about the art of using hashtags. I love it when the when the internet-search stars align like this. Hashtag onwards! [Pitchfork]
• Randa Jarrar writes about the hateful responses she received for her essay “Why I Can’t Stand White Belly Dancers” and why, as a matter of fact, she still can’t stand ’em. [Salon]
• One of my favorite bloggers, Samantha Irby of Bitches Gotta Eat, needs help! We featured a review of Irby's book Meaty in our Food Issue and she is currently having horrendous dental problems that she cannot afford to fix. As someone who has been semi-tortured at low-income dental clinics all my life, my heart goes out to her. [Bitches Gotta Eat]
• Recorded live at the Schomburg Center in New York yesterday, Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie and Zadie Smith discussed Adichie’s new novel Americanah and what it's like to be a writer who speaks about race and identity through fiction. Watch the whole conversation below. [NYPL via ColorLines]
What did I miss, friends?
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
julio david (not verified)
Cyclops (not verified)
Natash (not verified)
Dan Black (not verified)
Bryan (not verified)