On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• These days, there's a perception that marijuana is only kind of illegal—but a new website made by the ACLU shows how police are more than three times as likely to arrest a black person for marijuana possession than a white person. [The Uncovery, via Colorlines]
• What's wrong with Women's History Month? As Laurel Westbrook points out, sometimes women only get recognition for "excelling at what are generally thought to be 'masculine' pursuits." [Sociological Images]
• When fashion designer L'Wren Scott was found dead in her apartment this week, several newspapers described her first and foremost as "Mick Jagger's girlfriend." [Washington Post]
• Navigating healthcare as a queer woman comes with its own hurdles, like doctors who don't learn about how STI transmission works between same-sex couples. [RH Reality Check]
• A Minnesota state representative says wanting equal pay and sick leave makes women look like "whiners." [Feministing]
• Sofia Coppola is going to direct an adaptation of The Little Mermaid! I can only hope it will be as creepy as the original fairy tale. [Deadline]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Loulette (not verified)
Pietro (not verified)
rpontikes (not verified)
Jasminevermilion (not verified)