On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news on our radar today:
• No need to ask Congress for approval to raise wages: President Obama may be able to give 10 million workers a raise himself if he gives the green light to Secretary of Labor to revise the rules for overtime pay. [Huffington Post]
• What is more responsible for allowing over 400,000 rape kits from being unprocessed: Underfunded police departments or a culture that doesn’t give a damn? [Slate]
• Thousands of foreign-born kids who were raised in the United States have received a hard-won right to deferred deportation—but the program that grants them paperwork to stay in the country legally runs out in November and it looks like renewing your papers will be expensive and confusing. [Colorlines]
• A new study reminds us that half of the women are murdered in the US are killed with handguns, so gun background checks help save women's lives. [Al Jazeera]
• Emily Bell asks if journalism startups like Vice, Quartz, Buzzfeed, and Politico can be considered revolutionary when they succeed so well at keeping white men in the lead. [The Guardian]
• Oh no, not a new Gallup Poll! And at the bottom of the list: Only 24 percent of Americans care about climate change “a great deal” and only 17 percent care about race relations. Where’s my passport? [Salon]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
carpdiem (not verified)
Bailey Summers (not verified)
Mafs (not verified)
Olivia_8552 (not verified)