On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on our radar today.
• First off, a new report from the Guttmacher Institute shows that the abortion rate in the United States is at its lowest since 1973. Though some of that decline might be due to new laws preventing women from obtaining abortions, the biggest driver of the declining abortion rate is likely the spread of affordable birth control access. [Feministing]
• The Super Bowl is over, but the campaign to get offensive Native American mascots out of the NFL is not. The National Council of American Indians released a powerful new video for the Change The Mascot effort last week. [Racialicious]
• Dylan Farrow published an open letter in the New York Times spelling out how she was sexually abused by her adoptive father Woody Allen. [New York Times]
• Americans now have more student loan debt than credit card debt. Students who attend for-profit universities seem to be getting the biggest rip-off. [Mother Jones]
• I was part of a panel about online feminism last week at Yale University, along with Lori Adelman of Feministing and Akiba Solomon of Colorlines. The Yale feminist magazine has a write-up of the discussion, check it out! [Broad Recognition]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Gab (not verified)
veenessaboo (not verified)
DJ Sanguine Fromage (not verified)