On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on our radar today.
• In case you forgot, Sarah Palin is the worst. She wrote to Obama on her Facebook page yesterday, "Mr. President, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and all who commit to ending any racial divide, no more playing the race card." [The Week]
• Grantland's editor-in-chief apologized for running an article last week that posthumously outed a transgender woman. Editor Bill Simmons' apology defends the story in some ways, but ackowledges that the editing team definitely screwed up. A more compelling summation of the problems with this story comes from sportswriter Christina Kahrl, who penned a piece called "What Grantland Got Wrong." [Grantland]
• In shockingly horrible news: A Kentucky legislator is trying to define abortions as "domestic violence." [RH Reality Check]
• Looking, a new show about gay men dating in San Francisco, debuted on HBO over the weekend. Cue the homophobic Esquire review from a straight guy! [Salon]
• Reporter Emily Bazelon spent time with an group of Anonymous folks who try to stop bullying with hacking and shaming on social media... and things get morally complicated very fast. [New York Times]
• Getting colleges to admit more low-income students is, no surprise, going to be expensive. [The Atlantic]
• Gradient Lair has a new piece about Beyonce's new album and specifically the word "bitch." [Gradient Lair]
• What's an actress's best shot at winning an Oscar? Playing a wife, daughter, or sister. The statistics show that villains don't get Oscars, ladies. [Feministing]
• Meanwhile, I am digging this photoset of men in drag in the 1880s and 1890s. [Retronaut]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
hvac maintenanc (not verified)
Latchmie (not verified)
Maggie88 (not verified)
I wasn't talking about Nicole's advice (not verified)