On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's the feminist news we have on our radar right now:
• Jezebel offered $10,000 for unretouched photos from Lena Dunham's Vogue shoot. Roxane Gay has critiques this offer as nothing more than "cynical capitalism." [Salon]
• A study of which students took the AP Computer Science test in 2013 revealed that in three states, zero female students took the test, and in eleven states, zero black students took it. [Colorlines]
• An examination of images of female flight attendants over time demonstrates the evolution of their portrayal from mother to sex object to worker, and today's combination of all three. [Sociological Images]
• A recent episode of How I Met Your Mother featured three main characters in yellowface, and a bunch of orientalism. [Angry Asian Man]
• This list of "25 Women Poised to Lead the Culture in 2014" provides suggestions for a bunch of awesome women in film, literature, music, and politics to check out (including Bitch national advisory board member Laura Lippman!). [Flavorwire]
• The new cover of Time, which is about Hillary Clinton, shows that the media hasn't gotten any better at talking about female political candidates. Thanks, Time. [Feministing]
Let us know in the comments what's on your radar.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
J9 (not verified)
M. H. Boroson (not verified)
Cyn (not verified)