On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the feminist news on our radar this morning.
• In the past few years, numerous states have instituted laws banning abortion after 20 weeks. A court ruled Arizona's version of the abortion ban unconstitutional—today the Supreme Court passed on hearing that case, so the ban will have to be changed or struck down. [New York Times]
• In related troubling-new-abortion-restriction-laws news, a recent study shows that viewing an ultrasound does not actually dissuade women from getting abortions. [RH Reality Check]
• 12 Years a Slave had seven Golden Globe nominations and won only one award. While the cast was passed over for best actress and best actor awards, the film took home best motion picture drama. [Variety]
• The Golden Globes honored Woody Allen with a Lifetime Achievement Award... leaving out the part where his adopted daughter publicly confirmed that he molested her when she was seven. [Feministing]
• In much better news, here is every joke from Golden Globes hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler last night. [E!]
• The idea of "food gentrification" was getting a lot of discussion Friday on Twitter. Read through the insightful and funny comments on the #foodgentrification feed, but here's one from Bitch contributor Soleil Ho, "#foodgentrification is using white faces to sell products picked and grown and invented by POC." [Twitter]
What did I miss? Add your links to the comments!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
yeeeaaah.... (not verified)
Eller (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)
unila (not verified)
Emmyy (not verified)