On Our Radar: Feminist News Round-Up
Here's what's on our radar!
• Good news in Canada: On Friday, Canada's highest court struck down three laws that criminalized and harmed sex workers' lives. Plus, the city of Vancouver has put together a comprehensive, collaborative report of sex work in the area. [PIVOT, Vancouver Sun]
• Meanwhile in Ireland, the highly restrictive abortion law, the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, is set to commence on January 1, 2014. [Ireland Times]
• A long read on the television industry's tokenizing "diversity hire"—that one person who's supposed to mix up the white male writing room. [Defamer]
• One argument for why Serena Williams deserved Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year Award. [Ebony]
• In this new Indian anti–street harassment PSA, men are forced (literally) to reflect on their actions. [Whistling Woods International]
• Bitch Media contributor Emily McAvan has a new book out that looks at religion, post-modernims, and pop culture (like Harry Potter!) Read a Q&A about The Postmodern Sacred here. [Theo Fantastique]
• Alternet has a list of "Nine incredibly important things that happened in 2013" that didn't get enough coverage including criminalizing the homeless and ocean pollution. What do you think? What would you add? [Alternet]
Share your thoughts in the comments!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
lesley (not verified)
Lucia (not verified)
Brooke@Regicide (not verified)
Mark Twang (not verified)