On Our Radar: Feminist News Round-Up
Here's what's on our radar!
• Michelle Obama eulogizes Maya Angelou: "Her message was very simple. She told us that our worth has nothing to do with what the world might say. Instead, she said each of us comes from the creator trailing wisps of glory." Watch her whole eulogy above. [Huffington Post]
• Washington Post columnist and douchebag George Will recently penned a terrible article in which he says rape survivors have "privilege" and that rape is overreported, among other awful fallacies. #SurvivorPrivilege trended on Twitter, and RH Reality check's Lynn Beisner shares her "privilege" here. [Buzzfeed, RH Reality Check]
• Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah interviews sci-fi legend Samuel R. Delaney about writing, sex, Harlem, dyslexia, and more. [The Paris Review]
• The Gates Foundation is pushing for the development and widespread use of the female condom. [Slate]
• After releasing a new line of Star Wars toys—with everyone except Princess Leia—Disney bowed to fan outcry. [AV Club]
• Kaite Welsh reflects on her teenage self watching the British series Bramwell ("Think Call the Midwife meets Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman") as a 2014 feminist and just how well the show about the 19th century doctor holds up. [The Toast]
• This week on In Media Res, five whole days of critical and academic responses to The Golden Girls! Nope, nothing Bitch Media fans would be interested in here! [In Media Res]
Share what you're reading in the comments!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
w (not verified)
al oof (not verified)
EK (not verified)
Rob (not verified)