On Our Radar: UniteWomen, Remembering Left Eye, and "Brogrammers"
Here's what we're reading this week:
- Unite Agains the War on Women is tomorrow! Visit UniteWomen.org to find a march or rally near you.
- San Francisco is buzzing about the recently opened antique vibrator museum. These vibrators are featured in the new film Hysteria (to be reviewed in our next magazine issue!)
- North Carolina pledges "atonement" for forced sterilizations.
- Think Progress compares the racism of Lesley Arfin of HBO's Girls to that of John Derbyshire, former National Review columnist.
- This week was Toronto's Feminist Porn Awards; the Daily Beast asks the age-old question, can porn be feminist?
- Radical, feminist band Pussy Riot is still detained in jail by Russian authorities.
- Tamara Winfrey Harris calls out Steve Harvey's book-turned-movie which probes black women to "act like a lady; think like a man."
- Britni Danielle has some words for People magazine and its whitewashing of Beyoncé.
- James B. Golden remembers Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes and her musical legacy ten years after her death at Clutch.
- Tasneem Raja reports on the deeply ingrained sexism of the tech world at Mother Jones. "Brogrammers" and "hogrammers," really?!
- Check out this Q&A with the women behind the indie film Farah Goes Bang at Racialicious (and get ready for the most adorable Kickstarter video ever!)
- DJ Kuttin Kandi spoke with Colorlines' Akiba Solomon on her activism, fat discrimination, and the medical industrial complex.
- At Vivir Latino, Bianca Laureano and Maegan Ortiz review Zoé Salicrup Junco's independent film Gabi and its representation of Puerto Rican women and sexuality.
Let us know what you've been in the comments!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Natalie (not verified)
Preacher's Daughter: The Mountain Goats' John Darnielle and that Goddamn Rush of Adrenaline and BloodTed (not verified)
ChristyM123 (not verified)
Lindsay Anne (not verified)
Michael Andersen (not verified)