On Our Radar: Suing the Bachelor, Responding to GIRLS, and Rebooting Democracy
Here's what we've been reading this week:
- Today is the 16th annual National Day of Silence, when students across the country vow to take a form of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.
- Raw Story's Megan Carpentier writes about what getting a transvaginal ultrasound is really like.
- Julia Serano responds to Aviva Dove-Viebahn's post the on the Ms. Blog with "Trans Feminism: There's No Conundrum About It."
- A group of Nashville residents are filing a class-action lawsuit against ABC series The Bachelor and The Bachelorette for racial discrimination. Looks like the shows' utter lack of diversity wasn't just an "accident."
- Portlanders: This weekend, check out Rebooting Democracy and see Bitch's own Andi Zeisler and Kelsey Wallace on the "War on Women" panel!
- Portlanders: Next weekend, check out Disability Art and Culture Project's festival: there will be performances and panels of such topics as the intersections of race and disability.
- Did you read our recap of HBO's Girls? Colorlines responds to the show's story editor's racist tweets from earlier this week and how we don't need another TV show about a group of 20-something, white women living in NY.
- Actress Vanessa Williams is unapologetic and honest about getting an abortion in her new memoir.
- If you haven't seen it yet, this Funny or Die video on Rick Santorum "aborting" his presidential campaign is worth a watch.
- Bianca Laureano pens "An Open Letter to White People in the Sexuality/Sexology Field" at RH Reality Check.
- Are you a female cyclist? On May 13 the organization Girl Bike Love is holding CycloFemme, an event to celebrate women bikers in Boulder, Colorado.
- Getting pumped for the weekend? Allow us to recommend "QueenS", the newest video from THEESatisfaction, to put you in the party mood.
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Anon (not verified)
MS (not verified)